The Art of Campaigning
11 simple steps to run a successful lobby and advocacy campaignEnroll in Course
The power of lobby and advocacy campaigns
Are you working on social justice issues? Do you have the feeling that the power relations are stacked against you? Do you know that you are likely to face an uphill struggle?
Then an effective lobby and advocacy campaign can help you level the playing field and make your work more effective.
,The Art of Campaigning - 11 simple steps to run a successful lobby and advocacy campaign‘ is an online course that will equip you with the necessary skills to plan, implement and evaluate creative and highly influential lobby and advocacy campaigns. Step by step I will guide you through a tested process that allows you to influence policies and affect their implementation.
By the end of the course you will…
- ...be able to analyse a given situation and spell out what needs to change.
- …be able to clearly formulate a relevant, actionable, realistic and achievable campaign goal.
- ...be able to assess the respective policy processes, identify the main decision makers and understand what influences their behaviour.
- ...be able to develop a comprehensive lobby and advocacy strategy, chose the most appropriate approaches for your target audience and develop high quality campaign materials.
- ...be able to harvest the power of effective networking to increase your bargaining power.
- ...be able to monitor progress, adapt your strategy and evaluate the results.
The course includes:
- More than three hours of video, presenting a comprehensive step-by-step guide to develop, run and review a successful lobby and advocacy campaign.
- 15 hands-on exercises and downloadable worksheets to put theory into practice.
- The opportunity to apply the new learnings to a real-life case study.
- Additional background information to further deepen your understanding.
- Access to a comment section to share your experiences with other students and the course facilitator.
Hi, my name is Bjoern. I am a creative, highly committed and confident peacebuilding practitioner with a proven track record of training people effectively, even when working in highly complex conflict environments and in demanding project settings.
Over the last twenty-odd years I have been involved in educational, conflict transformation and peacebuilding work in several dozen countries, assisting people from all walks of life. Participants in my courses ranged from youth leaders in East Timor over cultural and religious leaders in East Africa, Human Rights Defenders in Nepal to representatives of big international organisations in several European countries, just to name a few.
I am also a father of three amazing children, a husband of an equally amazing wife, an outdoor enthusiast, a cancer survivor, a book lover, a creative chef, an active amputee and a disability rights activist.
"You want to plan a campaign or lobby your government on climate change or gender inequality? And your are looking for inspiration and guidance ? Look no further - Björn has put together all the tips and tricks to design a successful campaign. The online course offers you a hands-on, easy-to-use and comprehensive introduction and application tool box combining international experiences and the state-of-the-art of campaigning."
- Dr. Cordula Reimann, Bern/Switzerland
Founder and director of Core - Consultancy & Training in Conflict Transformation
"The best bit about this course was learning to work strategically, through all stages of planning, running and reviewing an advocacy and lobbying campaign. There were so many practical guidelines and exercises to guide me through making good decisions to run an effective campaign, including elements I hadn't thought of before. I recommend it to both experienced campaigners and newcomers to social justice work - it is so comprehensive there are great things for all of us to learn."
- Dr. Beth Gilfillan, Hanoi/Vietnam
Development practitioner, author of 'Coercion and resistance - International Aid in Cambodia' and co-founder of Biblioteka Ermera
StartWelcome to The Art of Campaigning (1:47)
StartCreating a learning environment (1:14)
PreviewWhat actually is a lobby and advocacy campaign? - part I (0:46)
PreviewWhat actually is a lobby and advocacy campaign? - part II (4:55)
StartAiming for constructive engagement (14:31)
StartThe content we will cover throughout this course (4:04)
StartWhat to expect in Step #01? (0:51)
StartBuilding the base by knowing the ins and outs of your organisation (2:29)
StartKey terms and definitions (3:04)
StartConceptual clarity is key (1:39)
StartLearning from others - part I (0:44)
StartReal life examples
StartLearning from others - part II (0:37)
StartExercise: Vision and mission
StartWhat to expect in Step #02? (0:58)
StartDeveloping clarity about the people on whose behalf you work (3:34)
StartUnderstanding the context: Getting the basics right
StartContext analysis tool: The conflict map
StartContext analysis tool: The conflict tree
StartContext analysis tool: The conflict pyramid
StartContext analysis tools: The conflict onion
StartContext analysis tool: The timeline
StartExercise: Develop clarity about the relationship between you and the people on whose behalf you work
StartExercise: The elevator pitch